You may be wondering why this page is here and what the hell does an artist/photographer know about wellness. Well I'm no expert but I fundamentally believe in the need for us all to move towards a healthier, more conscious, version of ourselves. My philosophy is simple but has taken time to construct and takes daily practice to live.
It's comprised of balance and authenticity and a lot of self-love and acceptance of where you are in your journey.
Balance: I work on achieving this on a daily basis using a system of judgment-free choices. I choose to work out, be in shape and fuel my narcissism with a body of muscles, but I also choose to sit on my ass and watch everything from Jersey Shore, to re-rurns of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations to practically every reality TV competition series. Love me some Top Chef, XFactor and Project Runway. I choose to eat primarily organic and healthy foods but I love Domino's thin crust pizza with pepperoni and desserts of all sorts. I love to give and believe I am worthy of receiving. I drink way too much wine and smoke well, stuff. But it's all in a balanced system that works for me - conscious choices. Have the experience you choose and toss regret, shame, and guilt out the fuckin window because it's a waste of time.
Authenticity: Below the bullshit mask of compliance to mass beliefs, is a true authentic soul that is unique and special in every which way. It takes guts to throw away a system of beliefs that was stuck in you a long time ago and to consciously choose your own philosophy, your own you. So on a daily basis, I practice being real and true and honest. True authenticity does not mean you have to throw everything way; it just means you re-evaluate everything and choose what works for you. So every day, you are more you and less what the world expects you to be. True authenticity is letting go of the "should be's" and just being.
And this move to authenticity would not be possible without this man - Ron Baker - who guides and inspires me. He created a website as a way of reaching a broader audience. Sure it's a little hippy dippy/love your inner child, but if shedding the BS and getting to the core of who you are is a goal, well then grab a cup of yogi tea, wear some brightly colored foofie socks and kick back and get your healing on!Check it out and Sign up at -- EmpoweredAtLast.com
More Books and Resources:
- Conversations with God - Book 1 by Neale Donald Walsch. Buy it
- The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. Buy it
- Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman (the sequel). Buy it (but please avoid the movie version with Nick Nolte - ugh, terrible!)
- When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodrom - cause sometimes, let's face it, the shit hits the fan. Buy it
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. Buy it
- Creating a Life Worth Living: A practical course in career design for Artists, Innovators and those aspiring to a creative life - by Carol Lloyd. Buy it
- The 4-Hour Work Week - by Timothy Ferriss. Buy it
- An Institute of Mexican Traditional Folk Healing - CEDEHC. My sister has been working with them for months - a powerful healing center in Cuernavaca, Mexico with some truly amazing people doing powerful things. You can go there for everything from herbal treatments, to massage to sweat lodge/temascal - all based on traditional Mexican folk healing. Check out their website (in spanish)
- Tim Chambers - If you are in NYC, definitely try him. The man knows massage, accupuncture and reiki.